1098T FAQs

What is a 1098T?

The 1098T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098T form must also be provided to each applicable student.

Why don't I have a 1098T form on file?

If a student's qualified tuition and related expenses are paid entirely through scholarships and/or grant aid or waived, Rutgers is not required to file a 1098T form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Instead the university provides a Tuition Summary for the Calendar Year. Housing and meal plan are not considered qualified expenses. Students can view and download the form on the Tax Statement website.

I am a former Rutgers student how can I access my 1098T?

Former students need to contact us in order to receive their 1098T.

How can I request a paper copy?

Students who are unable to obtain their 1098T electronically, can have a paper statement sent to them. Students must contact us (Do not include SSN). A paper statement will be mailed to the address on record. Be sure to include an updated address if recently moved.

What address do I use for Rutgers University when filing my taxes?

Please use:

620 George Street

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

What if my 1098T has an incorrect Social Security Number?

Students who have an incorrect social security number must contact us. Students will also be required to provide a W-9S form to the registrar’s office. 

The address listed on my 1098T is incorrect. Is this going to affect me when I file my tax return?

No. The address shown on Form 1098T is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes.  However, students should update their address by contacting the registrar’s office  in order for the university to have their updated information.

Who do I contact if there is an error on my 1098T?

Students need to contact us if there is an error on their 1098T form.

Will my CARES funding be recorded on my 1098T?

No. The CARES aid grants are qualified disaster relief payments and are not included in students' gross income. Due to it not being gross income, students cannot claim any deduction for expenses paid with grants, including the tuition and fees deduction.