1098-T FAQ

  • What is a 1098-T?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student.

  • Does the University send a copy to the IRS?

Yes. Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requires institutions to file information returns to assist taxpayers and the IRS in determining eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits

  • Why is box 1 empty?

The IRS states in its Publication 970, “An institution may choose to report either payments received (box 1), or amounts billed (box 2), for qualified education expenses. “ As a result, Rutgers University decides to report amounts billed (box 2). See the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf for information. The information that would have been in box 1 can be found in your statement of account which provides proof of all payments made for that calendar year.

  • Why is the amount billed different from the amount I paid?

The amount billed is only for what the IRS considers to be qualified tuition and expenses. This information is broken down in the statements of accounts for every student. The instructions for what the IRS considers a qualified tuition and expense can be found on page 3 by visiting https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1098et.pdf. Housing and Dining are not considered qualified expenses.

  • Why do I not have a 1098-T on file?

If a student's qualified tuition and related expenses are paid entirely through scholarships and/or grant aid or waived, Rutgers is not required to file a 1098-T form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Instead the university provides a Tuition Summary for the Calendar Year. Housing and meal plan are not considered qualified expenses. Students can view and download the form on the Tax Statement website.

  • I have not received my paper 1098-T. Where was it mailed to?

Students will not receive a paper copy of their 1098-T unless they specifically request for this document to be mailed.

  • How can I request a paper copy?

If you are unable to obtain your 1098-T electronically, a paper statement can be provided to you. You must send an email 1098T@sa.rutgers.edu  with the Subject line: "Request paper 1098-T". You must include your full name and RUID (Do not email your SSN). A paper statement will be mailed to the address on record. If you have moved, be sure to include the updated address in your email.

  • I am a former Rutgers student and cannot access my 1098-T online. How can I retrieve it?

Students that have recently graduated will not be able to access their 1098-T online. Students will need to send an email to 1098T@sa.rutgers.edu with their RUID number in order to receive their 1098-T.

  • What address should I use for Rutgers University?

The address for Rutgers University is 620 George Street New Brunswick, NJ 08901

  • What if my 1098-T has an incorrect social security number?

If your social security number is incorrect you must send us an email to 1098T@sa.rutgers.edu . You will be required to provide a W-9S form to the registrar’s office. The form can be found at C:/cygwin64forms

  • The address listed on my 1098-T is incorrect. Will this effect me when I file my tax return?

No.  The address shown on Form 1098-T is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes.  However, you should update your address by contacting the registrar’s office  so that the University has up-to-date information.

  • Who do I contact if there is an error on my 1098-T?

Send an email to 1098T@sa.rutgers.edu and be sure to include your RUID number.

What do you need to do?

logo for the pay my bill service 

Got a Question? 

Find answers to the most common questions students ask us about billing, payments, fees, payment plans, loans, exit counseling, and other topics in our Frequently Asked Questions.

Check Us Out on YouTube