Payment Options

Term bill payments are accepted in the form of e-check, credit card (online only), personal check, or cash. Payments can be made online, through the mail, or in person at a campus Cashier's Office. Payments are not accepted via phone.

View our International Payments page to learn how to make payments from international banking institutions.

Please note that if you make a payment after your term bill due date, you will be assessed a late payment charge of $125

Electronic Checks

E-check transactions are electronic withdrawals from either your checking or savings bank account. Payment with e-check is the most secure and convenient way to pay your tuition and fees, there is no additional fees or charges. Click to view instructions for completing the e-check payment process via your online student account.

If your e-check is returned as unpaid from the bank, a $60 returned payment fee is assessed. The $60 fee consists of a $50 administrative fee and a $10 returned check charge assessed by our payment processor when a payment fails. You may also be assessed additional late fees if you fail to make payment by the due date indicated on your student statement of account. Any payments not honored by the bank will be redeposited and will incur applicable late and penalty fees.

Credit Cards

Credit cards can be used to make payments online only, payments are not accepted via phone or in person. A nonrefundable 2.5 percent service fee of the total amount paid is assessed by the credit card company. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards are accepted for online payments.

Personal Checks

Personal checks are accepted through the mail or in person. Indicate the student's name, telephone number, and RUID/A number on the front of the check.

Mail your payment and term bill to:

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Term Bill Processing Unit
P.O. Box 2021
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2021

RBHS Students

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
RBHS Cashier Office
675 Hoes Lane W, Room V02
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Important Information About Cash

"Cash", defined narrowly as U.S. coin and currency, cashier's check, money order, bank draft, or traveler's checks, is accepted for in person payment.

Any time the University receives over $10,000 in cash in one transaction or in two or more related transactions, we are required to file Form 8300 "Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business."  Transactions occurring up to a rolling 12 month period are considered related (and reportable) if the recipient knows, or has reason to know, that each transaction is one of a series of connected transactions. Payments for tuition, fees, room and board, etc. are considered related (and reportable) transactions.

Please Note:  Cash does not include a check drawn on the payer's own account, such as a personal check, regardless of the amount or a charitable contribution. Trade or business is defined as any activity constituting the sale of goods or the performance of services to produce income under Internal Revenue Code Section 162. One such example of trade or business income for a university would be tuition payments.

Form 8300 is due the 15th day after the date the cash was received. The University must give a written statement to each person named on a required Form 8300 on or before January 31 of the following calendar year in which the cash is received.  The Form 8300 is issued by the Cashiers' Office.

For specific form information, contact the cashiers’ office at your campus.

Please refer to IRS Publication 1544, the most recent Form 8300, and the IRS Form 8300 FAQ page for information on reportable transactions.